Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Into the Mist, To the Land of the Wolf

The journey continues, Gentle Reader, as does the wonder and excitement.

Since getting my bearings on the fact that the Toronto Urban Roots Festival was a reality, and one which I was present for, my Canadian experience has not slowed down nor lacked fun and adventure. 

To wind down from the festival on Sunday, on Monday Mr. Harriman and I took to the beaches of Lake Ontario with our books. I'm about 300 pages into "The Art of Fielding" currently and am continuing to enjoy it thoroughly. I would certainly recommend it to you Gentle Reader, as I know that you like I are very fond of an incrediably good book. 

The beach itself was gorgeous


and as you can see not very busy on this first business day of the week. A gentle mist settled in and for a moment I thought it would carry me away, Gentle Reader, as if I had arrived through this journey in a literal state of grace. 



Later Monday evening Mr. Harriman made Katherine and I dinner and we dined on two of his world famous pizza pies. We paired them with a delectable red and enjoyed a delicious white for desert. 

The next day I was off to the very impressive Art Gallery of Ontario where I had the opportunity to enjoy some of the finest works of art that Toronto has to offer. 



I was told by the gentleman I purchased my admittance from that photography was allowed in all regions of the museum save for the Francis Bacon and Henry Moore exhibit, entitled "Terror and Beauty." I relished the opportunity to share some of the fine canvases I witnessed with you Gentle Reader, and so took this good man up on his offer. Below is some of what I saw.






(This piece was called "The Young Arcadians" and was particularly enjoyable to me as it seemed to forshadow the delightful events I hoped would take place later that evening. I was not let down Gentle Reader.)














(Brace yourself, Gentle Reader, as we are taking turn toward the contempoary)



As mentioned above I was unable to take any photos inside the Bacon/Moore exhibit, but you can rest assured that is was exquisite. 

After a day on the town alone, I returned to my temporary abode and my hosts and I set out to the pub to take in the Brazil v. Germany game. I was once again able view a World Cup game on a transfixingly wonderful large scale projection screen. 


Though the game was not a close one, it was still an enjoyable experience. I can also say that the awe experienced by soccer fans that day, as Germany trounced Brazil, seems fitting as I have been experience nothing short of just that as I've made my way along this journey so far. 

After the game I grasped an opportunity that I believed would be one of the absolute highlights my entire trip. 

I ventured to the home of the Wolf. 


I assure you Gentle Reader that nothing about my visit was "sinful" but that it was, contrarily, a miraculous occasion. I was lucky to be greeted not only by Wolf Totem herself, but also by the entire merry band of flask wielding gypsy starlets. Which included of course, Wolf, Band afficianado Hillary Grace, noted filmmaker Jessica Jerome, and my old BFF, the talented singer and guitarist Sarah Francis. We passed the night away imbibing spirits, strumming guitars, and singing songs. I was particularly taken when Wolf and Miss Francis would play a number or two as a duo. This was a truly charming musical experience. Later in the evening Wolf Totem treated us to a recitation of some of her own original poems. They were tremendous and we waited with baited breath on each additional syllable and for each new selection to be made.

In the fall Wolf and Miss Francis are going to visit my homeland and we are all going to record a Long Play together. Can't Hardly Wait!

I am saddened to say, Gentle Reader, that tomorrow I will have to bid a fond farewell to my gracious hosts. I can not relay how gracious they have been and how grateful I am for their hospitality.

But a car is coming at 3:30am, Gentle Reader, to whisk me away to the airport once again. And at my back I always hear time's winged chariot hurrying near. 

As my journey on this continent concludes and my travels continue westward, I must express my earnest and heartfelt gratitude to this wonderful city. Thank you Toronto. For the experiences you have afforded me, the memories you have given me, and for all of the dear people I've encountered along the way.

I'll see you in the cyber salons of the future Gentle Reader. 

Courage,

-Z



No comments:

Post a Comment