Saturday, July 5, 2014

Canadian Forth of July

I've landed safely, Gentle Reader, in the great northern land known as Canadia! Homeland of (in order of awesomeness from last to first) Ryan Gosling, Neil Young, and Rick Danko. The locals here are a lovely people. Courteous, outgoing, and helpful. This might be a cliche or a generalization, but the Canadians, at least of the Torontonian variety, are just plain nice. 

Since last we checked in I've had memorable experiences. I was greeted at the airport by the extra-ordinarily lovely and talented Katherine Wihry. From there she took me to the home she shares with her husband, the incomparably intelligent and generous science fiction writer Josh Harriman. We exchanged pleasantries and made up for lost time, and headed to a contagiously charming outdoor patio cafe known as 3 Speed. 


The next day I shared sushi on Queen Street West with Band afficianado Hilary Grace and my own band mate Moira O'Connell. I also met up with my old friend who I'd never met Sarah Francis. Oddly, we'd been Facebook friends in the past but never actually met in person. Now we're bffs! 

After an appointment in the city Katherine met me and we strolled through town shopping and seeing the sites. Our stroll included a jaunt through Chinatown. 



And a trip to this lovely smelling place:



I then jumped on this thing and headed back to the temporary abode.


This streetcar was not named desire but it did prove to be an enjoyable mode of transportation. 

Soon Josh returned home from a day of work and we headed off to High Park for a performance of "Titus Andronicus" by William Shakespeare.


This play, I must warn you Gentle Reader, was not for the faint of heart. To make a rather crude comparison I would describe it as a mixture of a more traditional Shakespearian play and a Quentin Tarantino film. A lot of blood letting, rape, and child eating. Needless to say I enjoyed it immensely.

Then, today, the amazing happened. Earlier than I expected on this whirlwind tour I found myself, brace yourself Gentle Reader, on a boat.

 

We navigated the waters of the awe inspiring Lake Ontario and brunched on the majestic Centre Island. This is the vessel that brought us there:



Centre is an unconscionably beautiful plot surrounded on all sides by the soothing sounds of Lake Ontario. 

This was the view from the table on which we picknicked:


Tomorrow is a new day Gentle Reader, and I'm very excited about what's in store.

I will see you in the cyber salons of the future.

Courage, 

-Z

No comments:

Post a Comment