Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Impossible Trees, and The Big South

While traveling the winding roads that would eventually lead to Big Basin Redwoods State Park I thought the trees along the side of the road were grand. I was not aware of what I was in for Gentle Reader. 

Upon arriving at the park I paid a modest parking fee and hit the trail. While hiking through the Redwood Forest I took in what were certainly the largest trees this humble scribbler has ever seen, as well as some of the oldest and tallest in the world. 



I met the Mother of the Forest:


As well as the Father if the Forest:


i was more than impressed, to say the least, by these two parental trees and their offspring. 


After thanking this awe-inspiring family for their existence, I once again jumped behind the helm of the Spark and headed south down the Pacific Coast Highway. 


My journey down the PCH, through Los Padres National Forrest, was was marked by tight roads and sharp turns. However, I cannot recall, Gentle Reader, ever driving a more beautiful or magestically scenic route than this one. 

About 3/4 of the way through Los Padres I stopped at a beach and meditated on California, the Pacific Ocean, and this land where Jack Kerouac came to fight the battle, and eventually lose the war, against alcoholic delirium, Big Sur. 






Sorry about that Jack. 

Once my contemplations came to an end, I hit the road again and headed to my final destination for the day, Santa Barbara. 

When I reached town I checked myself into a room, pored myself a Lagunitas coffee, 



grabbed the copy of On The Road that I had picked up at Mr. Ferlinghetti's book store,



and headed for the beach to wait for the sun to go down.



Today my travels south continue as I head for my final stop on this epic journey. The place where the movies are made and dreams go to die, Las Angeles, California.

I'll see you in the cyber salons of the future Gentle Reader. 

Courage, 

-Z




No comments:

Post a Comment